Turfgrass Insects of the United States and Canada / Patricia J. Vittum
- Vittum, Patricia J., 1951-
- Ithaca, NY : Cornell University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Third Edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (552 pages) : 3 black and white halftones, 49 black and white line drawings, 34 maps, 11 charts, 72 color plates
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- restricted access http://purl.org/coar/access_right/c_16ec online access with authorization
- Frontmatter -- Contents -- Preface -- Acknowledgments -- Preface to the Second Edition -- Acknowledgments to the Second Edition -- Preface to the First Edition -- 1. Turfgrass in the Modern Environment -- 2. Insects and Near Relatives -- 3. Insects and Mites: Turf Association -- 4. Acarine Pests -- 5. Orthopteran Pests: Family Gryllotalpidae -- 6. Hemipteran Pests: Suborder Heteroptera -- 7. Hemipteran Pests: Suborder Homoptera -- 8. Lepidopteran Pests: Family Crambidae (Formerly Pyralidae), Subfamily Crambinae -- 9. Lepidopteran Pests: Family Noctuidae -- 10. Lepidopteran Pests: Family Hesperiidae -- 11. Coleopteran Pests: Family Scarabaeidae -- 12. Scarabaeid Pests: Subfamily Aphodiinae -- 13. Scarabaeid Pests: Subfamily Cetoniinae -- 14. Scarabaeid Pests: Subfamily Dynastinae -- 15. Scarabaeid Pests: Subfamily Melolonthinae -- 16. Scarabaeid Pests: Subfamily Rutelinae -- 17. Coleopteran Pests: Family Chrysomelidae -- 18. Coleopteran Pests: Family Curculionidae -- 19. Dipteran Pests: Families Tipulidae and Chloropidae -- 20. Hymenopteran Pests: Family Formicidae -- 21. Hymenopteran Pests: Families Sphecidae and Vespidae -- 22. Minor Insect Pests -- 23. Turfgrass-Associated Arthropods and Near Relatives -- 24. Vertebrate Pests -- 25. Principles of Integrated Pest Management -- 26. Sampling Techniques and Setting Thresholds -- 27. Biological Control Strategies -- 28. Chemical Control Strategies -- Appendix 1. English and Metric Units of Measure and Conversions -- Appendix 2. Abbreviations -- Glossary -- References -- Index -- Color Plates
- The first edition of this reference work became known as the bible of turfgrass entomology upon publication in 1987. It has proved invaluable to both professional entomologists, commercial turf managers, golf course superintendents, and has been used widely in college extension courses. This classic of the field now enters its third edition, providing up-to-date and complete coverage available of turfgrass pests in the continental United States, Hawaii, and southern Canada.This revised volume integrates all relevant research from the previous two decades. It provides expanded coverage of several pest species, including the annual bluegrass weevil, invasive crane fly species, chinch bugs, billbugs, mole crickets, and white grubs. Patricia J. Vittum also provides detailed information on the biology and ecology of all major pests and include the most current information on conditions that favor insect development and biological control strategies pertinent to each species.This edition will include more than 100 black and white images, including diagrams of life cycles, sketches of morphological characteristics, and charts highlighting seasonal activity. The book also includes 72 full color plates (and more than 500 color images), showing closeup pictures of most of the key insects (adult and immature stages), and damaged turf. The reader should be able to identify most turf insects through the use of this text. It is a critical reference that any serious turf professional should have on their shelf.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 32863999