The brain-based classroom : accessing every child's potential through educational neuroscience / Kieran O'Mahony
- O'Mahony, Kieran, 1953-
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2021.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (249 pages).
- Cover -- Half Title -- Series -- Title -- Copyright -- Dedication -- Contents -- List of Figures -- Acknowledgments -- Preface -- About the Author -- Introduction -- Part I Breaking Paradigms -- 1 Neuroscience of Learning -- 2 Rewards Work . . . Sometimes -- 3 Teach With A Instead of E -- 4 Punishments Work . . . Sometimes -- 5 Brain Breaks Work Every Time -- 6 Cognitive Models Work Every Time -- 7 Orchids Are Epigenetic -- Part II Rethinking Pedagogy -- 8 Miller's (Adjusted) Law -- 9 Hebb's Rule and Cognitive Rehearsal -- 10 Plasticity Is a Two-Sided Neural Coin and 11 Purposeful Long-Term Potentiation -- 12 Know Your Reticular Activating System -- 13 Mindset Matters -- 14 Comfort Zone for Adaptive Expertise -- Part III Conceptual Collisions -- 15 Intrinsic Motivation in a Gift Box -- 16 Greenhouse Teachers too -- 17 Autonomy Loves Choice -- 18 A Lost Revolution -- 19 Maslow in an Orchid World -- 20 What Skinner Did Next -- 21 Teach to Thorndike Affect -- Epilogue -- Glossary -- References -- Index
- The Brain-Based Classroom translates findings from educational neuroscience into a new paradigm of practices suitable for any teacher. The human brain is a site of spectacular capacity for joy, motivation, and personal satisfaction, but how can educators harness its potential to help children reach truly fulfilling goals? Using this innovative collection of brain-centric strategies, teachers can transform their classrooms into deep learning spaces that support their students through self-regulation and mindset shifts. These fresh insights will help teachers resolve classroom management issues, prevent crises and disruptive behaviors, and center social-emotional learning and restorative practices.
- 9781000330649 (electronic bk.)
1000330648 (electronic bk.)
9781003106159 (electronic bk.)
1003106153 (electronic bk.)
9781000330656 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket)
1000330656 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket)
9781000330663 (electronic bk. : EPUB)
1000330664 (electronic bk. : EPUB)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Biographical Note:
- Kieran O'Mahony is Founding Principal of the Institute for Connecting Neuroscience with Teaching and Learning, USA, and Founder and Chairman of the Board of Neural Education.
View MARC record | catkey: 32864198