Neurogenic communication disorders and the life participation approach : the social imperative in supporting individuals and families / [edited by] Audrey L. Holland, Roberta J. Elman
- San Diego, CA : Plural Publishing, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Holland, Audrey L. and Elman, Roberta J.
- Intro -- Preface -- Acknowledgments -- Contributors -- Prologue. Life Participation Approach to Aphasia: A Statement of Values for the Future by LPAA Project Group -- 1. The Social Imperative for Aphasia Rehabilitation: A Personal History -- 2. C.A.P.E.: A Checklist of Four Essential and Evidence-Based Categories for Aphasia Intervention -- 3. Discovering Functional Needs in Speech-Language Therapy -- 4. The Role of the Environment: Supporting Language, Communication, and Participation -- 5. Stories at the Heart of Life Participation: Both the Telling and Listening Matter and 6. Primary Progressive Aphasia: A Practical Roadmap for Navigating Person-Centered Evaluation and Treatment -- 7. Life Participation for People with Dementia -- 8. The Life Participation Approach and Social Reintegration After Traumatic Brain Injury -- 9. The Life Participation Approach to Aphasia: Looking Back and Moving Forward -- Index
- The Life Participation Approach to Aphasia (LPAA) is an evolutionary change in the way practitioners view aphasia intervention. By focusing on meeting the needs of individuals affected by aphasia, LPAA can produce real, meaningful enhancement to the quality of life. Neurogenic Communication Disorders and the Life Participation Approach: The Social Imperative in Supporting Individuals and Families breaks down the past, present, and future of the LPAA movement with contributions from a range of new and experienced practitioners. In addition, this text provides a roadmap for professionals interested in incorporating person-centered intervention for aphasia and other neurogenic communication disorders, including primary progressive aphasia, dementia, and traumatic brain injury. Within this book, clinicians will find tips, tools, and guidance for integrating a life participation approach into their practice, as well as first-hand descriptions of the positive benefits this approach can have for those living with neurogenic communication disorders.
- 9781635502893 electronic book and 1635502896 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32864221