Friendship in Jewish history, religion, and culture / edited by Lawrence Fine
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 260 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Fine, Lawrence
- Dimyonot: Jews and the cultural imagination
- Introduction : studying friendship in Jewish culture, history, and religion / Lawrence Fine -- "Cherished in life, for they loved each other exceedingly" : friendship in medieval Ashkenaz / Eyal Levinson -- God in the face of the other : mystical friendship in the Zohar / Eitan P. Fishbane -- Friendship and gender : the limits and possibilities of Jewish philosophy / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- "She and her friends" : on women's friendship in Biblical narrative / Saul M. Olyan -- Friends and friendship in the memoir of Glückel of Hameln : learning from experience / Joseph Davis -- "Got yourself some friends? Now build a movement!" : friendship in the Jewish women's movement in the United States / Martha Ackelsberg -- Jacob and Esau : twinship, identity, and failed friendship / George Savran -- Hebraica amicitia : Leon Modena and the cultural practices of early modern intra-Jewish friendship / Michela Andreatta -- Friendship and betrayal : Hasidism and secularism in early twentieth-century Poland / Glenn Dynner -- Interfaith encounters between Jews and Christians in the early modern period and beyond : toward a framework / Daneil Jütte -- Friendship, Jewish female philosophers, and feminism / Hava Tirosh-Samuelson -- A friendship in the prophetic tradition : Abraham Joshua Heschel and Martin Luther King Jr. / Susannah Heschel.
- "A collection of essays exploring the subject of friendship in Jewish culture, history, and religion from ancient Israel to the twenty-first century"--
- 9780271087948 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32864989