A discourse proving that the Christian religion, is the only true religion [microform] : wherein, the necessity of Divine revelation is evinced, in several sermons. / By Increase Mather. ; [Ten lines of quotations].
- Mather, Increase, 1639-1723
- Boston : Printed for & sold by the booksellers, 1702.
- Physical Description:
- 96 pages, 4 unnumbered pages ; 14 cm (12mo)
- Additional Creators:
- Emmes, Thomas
- Murdock distinguishes a completed and an uncompleted state of the engraving. The uncompleted state lacks the engraved background, so that the head appears on a white field.
Running title: The Christian religion, the only true religion.
The copy held by the American Antiquarian Society has an added engraved frontispiece ("Increase Mather. Tho: Emmes sculpt. Sold by Nicolas Boone 1701."). The frontispiece portrait, the first copperplate engraved in America, is not found in all copies of the discourse, but was evidently added to some copies, and was added to certain copies of other of Mather's works. See Murdock, Kenneth B. The portraits of Increase Mather, 1924, p. 43-46, and Holmes, T.J. Increase Mather, entries 13 and 64-A.
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 1075).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans, C. American bibliography, 1075
Holmes, T.J. Increase Mather, 39
View MARC record | catkey: 3287316