Advice to the people in general, with regard to their health [microform] : but particularly calculated for those, who are the most unlikely to be provided in time with the best assistance, in acute diseases, or upon any inward or outward accident. : With a table of the most cheap, yet effectual remedies, and the plainest directions for preparing them readily. / Translated from the French edition of Dr. Tissot's Avis au peuple, &c. Printed at Lyons; with all the notes in the first English edition, and a very few additional ones. By J. Kirkpatrick, M.D. ; To which is added, The art of preserving health: containing the most important rules recommended by physicians and philosophers for the preservation of health in the several periods and circumstances of life: together with the reasons on which these rules are founded. By J. Mackenzie, M.D. ; [Two lines from Proverbs] ; Volume I[-II].
- Tissot, S. A. D. (Samuel Auguste David), 1728-1797
- London [i.e., Boston] : Printed [by Mein and Fleeming], In the year MDCCLXVII. 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes ; 18 cm (12mo)
- Additional Creators:
- Kirkpatrick, J. (James), approximately 1696-1770
Mackenzie, James, 1680?-1761
- "The history of health, and the art of preserving it ... By James Mackenzie, M.D. ..."--v. 2, p. -254, with separate title page.
A false imprint was used by Mein and Fleeming, probably on the supposition that foreign publications would sell more readily. Cf. Alden, J.E. "A note on Tissot's 'Advice to the people,' London, 1767." PBSA 34 (1940): 262-266.
Vol. 1: xxiv, , 265,  p.; v. 2: , 254 p.
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 41772).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Austin, R.B. Early Amer. medical imprints, 1912
Bristol, R.P. Supplement to Charles Evans' American bibliography, B2822
Shipton, C.K. National index of American imprints through 1800 41772
View MARC record | catkey: 3293147