An astronomical diary: or, An almanack, for the year of our Lord, 1785 ... [microform] : Calculated for the meridian of Boston; but will serve without a sensible errour, for any part of New-England. ... / By Isaac Bickerstaff. ; [Eight lines of verse].
- Bickerstaff, Isaac
- [Springfield] Commonwealth of Massachusetts : Printed by Brooks and Russel, in Springfield, and sold at their office, near the Court-House. Price 6 coppers single, and 2s. and 6d. the dozen, 
- Physical Description:
- 24 unnumbered pages ; 16 cm (12mo)
- Additional Creators:
- Strong, Nehemiah, 1729-1807
West, Benjamin, 1730-1813
- Advertised in the Hampshire herald, Springfield, Oct. 26, 1784.
Attributed by Evans to Benjamin West, evidently on the basis of West's association with the name Bickerstaff. However, the eclipse notes, with a few variations in the wording, are identical with those in Bickerstaff's New-England almanack for 1785 (Hartford: N. Patten), which has been shown to be Nehemiah Strong's work. Cf. Bates, A.C. "Check list of Connecticut almanacs." Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, n.s. v. 24 (1914): 101-107, 136-137.
The notes on the calendar pages are identical at so many points as to make a common authorship apparent, and the calculations here exhibit only the degree of variation to be expected from the same hand for different localities.
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 18874).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Drake, M. Almanacs, 3341
Evans, C. American bibliography, 18874
View MARC record | catkey: 3297072