The Baviad, and Maeviad [microform] / By William Gifford, Esquire. ; [Five lines of Latin verse] ; To which is prefixed, a poetical epistle to the author, by an American gentleman
- Gifford, William, 1756-1826
- [Philadelphia] : London--printed-- Philadelphia: re-printed for William Cobbett, M.DCC.XCIX. 
- A new edition revised.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 2 unnumbered pages, 145 pages, 1 unnumbered page ; 17 cm (12mo)
- Additional Creators:
- Cliffton, William, 1772-1799
Hoppner, John, 1758-1810
- Related Titles:
- A satire on the Della Cruscans, English writers of pretentious and sentimental verse.
Caption title: The Baviad, a paraphrastic imitation of the first satire of Persius.
Dedicated to John Hoppner, Esq. R.A.
Gaines notes two states. In one (Gaines 124a), the imprint reads: London--printed-- Philadelphia: re-printed for William Cobbett. In the other (Gaines 124b), the imprint reads: Philadelphia: Printed for William Cobbett.
The poetical epistle is signed: C. Philadelphia, 13th May, 1799. Attributed to William Cliffton by Evans and Gaines.
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 35546).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans, C. American bibliography, 35546
Gaines, P.W. Cobbett, 124a
View MARC record | catkey: 3301306