An authentic account of an embassy from the King of Great Britain to the Emperor of China [microform] ; including cursory observations made, and information obtained, in travelling through that ancient empire and a small part of Chinese Tartary. : Together with a relation of the voyage undertaken on the occasion by His Majesty's Ship the Lion, and the ship Hindostan in the East India Company's service, to the Yellow Sea, and Gulf of Pekin; as well as of their return to Europe; with notices of the several places where they stopped in their way out and home; being the islands of Madeira, Teneriffe, and St. Jago; [t]he port of Rio de Janeiro in South America; the islands of St. Helena, Tristan d'Acunha, and Amsterdam; the coast of Java, and Sumatra, the Nanka Isles, Pulo-Condore, and Cochin-China. : Taken chiefly from the papers of His Excellency the Earl of Macartney, Knight of the Bath, His Majesty's embassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary to the Emperor of China; Sir Erasmus Gower, commander of the expedition, and of other gentlemen in the several departments of the embassy. / By Sir George Staunton, Baronet. Honorary Doctor of Laws of the University of Oxford, fellow of the Royal Society of London, His Majesty's secretary of embassy to the Emperor of China, and minister plenipotentiary in the absence of the embassador. ; In two volumes. ; Vol. I[-II].
- Staunton, George, Sir, 1737-1801
- Philadelphia : Printed for Robert Campbell, by John Bioren, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, 1 unnumbered page, 297 pages, 1 unnumbered page, 267 pages, 1 unnumbered page, xxiv pages, 1 unnumbered folded leaf, 8 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 22 cm (8vo)
- Additional Creators:
- Gower, Erasmus, Sir, 1742-1814, Macartney, George Macartney, Earl, 1737-1806, and Seymour, Joseph H.
- "Although the two volumes have independent signatures series they were issued bound in one."--Evans.
Errors in paging: v. 1, p. xiii-xvi misnumbered xii-xv; v. 2, p. 231, 252 misnumbered 131, 151.
The plates, engraved by Joseph Seymour, are irregularly numbered. Cf. "Directions to the binder," v. 1, p. [xxiv].
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 36363).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans, C. American bibliography, 36363
English short title catalogue, W11720
View MARC record | catkey: 3309065