Information systems : what every business student needs to know / by Efrem G. Mallach
- Mallach, Efrem, 1942-
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press LLC, 
- Second edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (391 pages).
- Chapman & Hall/CRC textbooks in computing
- Most information systems textbooks overwhelm business students with overly technical information they may not need in their careers. This textbook takes a new approach to the required information systems course for business majors. For each topic covered, the text highlights key "Take-Aways" that alert students to material they will need to remember during their careers. Sections titled "Where You Fit In" and "Why This Chapter Matters" explain how the topics being covered will impact students on the job. Review questions, discussion questions, and summaries are also included. This second edition is updated to include new technology, along with a new running case study. Key features: Single-mindedly for business students who are not technical specialists Doesnt try to prepare IS professionals; other courses will do that Stresses the enabling technologies and application areas that matter the most today Based on the authors real-world experience Up to date regarding technology and tomorrows business needs This is the book the authorand, more importantly, his studentswishes he had when he started teaching. Dr. Mallach holds degrees in engineering from Princeton and MIT, and in business from Boston University. He worked in the computer industry for two decades, as Director of Strategic Planning for a major computer firm and as co-founder/CEO of a computer marketing consulting firm. He taught information systems in the University of Massachusetts (Lowell and Dartmouth) business schools for 18 years, then at Rhode Island College following his retirement. He consults in industry and serves as Webmaster for his community, in between hiking and travel with his wife.
- 9780429590436 (electronic book), 0429590431 (electronic book), 0429061013 (electronic book), 9780429592379 (electronic book electronic book), 042959237X (electronic book electronic book), and 9780429061011 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Biographical Note:
- Dr. Mallach has taught in the information systems field since 1984. In addition, he has had a long and varied career in the information technology industry - before this time, during a break from teaching in 1998-2003, and on a part-time basis while teaching. This exposure to real-world practice, which continues today, gives him a perspective on information systems that is impossible to obtain through academic pursuits alone. This book reflects that perspective.
View MARC record | catkey: 33178545