The people's money : pensions, debt, and government services / edited by Michael A. Paganno
- Pagano, Michael A.
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (ix, 211 pages) : illustrations
- Preface and acknowledgments / Michael A. Pagano. Part 1 Overview : Introduction / Casey Sebetto. Part 2 White papers : Local government long-term liabilities: pensions, other postemployment benefits, and infrastructure / Martin J. Luby, Gary Strong, and David Saustad -- Contemporary fiscal challenges and positions of US cities / Yonghong Wu, Shu Wang, and Michael A. Pagano -- Exploring urban governments' fiscal challenges / David Merriman -- Linking resources to government services: is there a future for benefit-based financing? / Rebecca Hendrick -- Beyond political consolidation: prospects for effective local governance through self-organized collaborative networks / Jered B. Carr and Michael D. Siciliano -- When public pension reforms fail or appear to be impossible: are unbalanced budgets, deficits, and government collapse the only answer? / James E. Spiotto.
- American cities continue to experience profound fiscal crises. Falling revenues cannot keep pace with the increased costs of vital public services, infrastructure development and improvement, and adequately funded pensions. Chicago presents an especially vivid example of these issues, as the state of Illinois's rocky fiscal condition compounds the city's daunting budget challenges. In The People's Money, Michael A. Pagano curates a group of essays that emerged from discussions at the 2018 UIC Urban Forum. The contributors explore fundamental questions related to measuring the fiscal health of cities, including how cities can raise revenue, the accountability of today's officials for the future financial position of a city, the legal and practical obstacles to pension reform and a balanced budget, and whether political collaboration offers an alternative to the competition that often undermines regional governance.
- 9780252051777 electronic book
0252051777 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Endowment Note:
- Robert J. Nurock Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 33178966