Natural disasters : a reference handbook / David E. Newton
- Newton, David E.
- Santa Barbara : ABC-CLIO, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Contemporary world issues
- Background and history. Natural disasters in human history -- Earthquakes -- Volcanic eruptions -- Extreme weather -- Floods -- Forest fires -- Other types of natural disasters -- The genesis of natural disasters -- The genesis of severe storms -- Problems, controversies, and solutions. The impact of human activities on natural disasters: Earthquakes -- Sinkholes -- Landslides -- Forest fires -- Floods -- Drought -- Extreme weather and climate change -- Preparation and recovery -- Perspectives. Who is Pele: A native Hawaiian perspective / Wendy Awai-Dakroub -- Unnatural disasters / Trudy E. Bell -- Understanding the communication gaps between disaster prediction and public response / Sean Ernst -- Red tide: The insidious killer / ChrisAnn Silver Esformes -- The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 / Madeline Clark Franck -- After the disaster: What are the next steps / Eloise Merrifield -- Pele says hello / Chloe Olewitz -- Some confessions of a lifelong storm chaser / Lane Ponsart -- Profiles -- Data and documents -- Resources -- Chronology.
- "This book provides a detailed introduction to natural disasters and the ways in which they have had and continue to have, profound effects on human society. Natural Disasters: A Reference Handbook surveys the impact of these events on human civilization. The opening chapter provides a general history and background of the major types of natural disasters, including earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, severe storms, and forest fires. The information presented in this introduction allows the reader to better understand current issues, problems, and solutions related to natural disasters discussed in subsequent chapters. The book covers the role of natural disasters in human life from earliest recorded history (and, to some extent, even earlier) to the present day. It provides an extensive variety of resources that encourage readers to learn more about the topics discussed. The book is intended for readers in the late middle school to high school age range, as well as adults who may have a special interest in the subject." -- Publisher's description.
- 9781440867620 (electronic bk.) and 1440867623 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33178973