Ancient Egypt : facts and fictions / Stephen E. Thompson
- Thompson, Stephen E.
- Santa Barbara : ABC-CLIO, 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 241 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Historical facts and fictions
- Hieroglyphs were a secret code created to conceal the wisdom of ancient Egypt -- The Egyptians worshipped animals and gods with animal heads -- Ancient Egyptians considered the pharaoh to be a god -- The pyramids were built as storehouses, work projects, for the Egyptian people, or repositories of knowledge -- Ancient Egyptian society was heavily dependent on slave labor -- Curses or booby traps protected Egyptian tombs -- Cleopatra was responsible for Mark Antony's defeat by Octavian (Augustus Caesar) -- The myths of Osiris, Isis, and Horus were the basis for the accounts of Jesus found in the Christian New Testament.
- "Comprising a unique collection of primary sources, this book critically examines several topics relating to ancient Egypt that are of high interest to readers but about which misconceptions abound"--
- 9781440854934 hardcover and 1440854939 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 225-227) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33181780