Reconsidering causal powers : historical and conceptual perspectives / Benjamin Hill, Henrik Lagerlund, and Stathis Psillos
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2021.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resources (320 pages).
- Additional Creators:
- Hill, Benjamin, Lagerlund, Henrik, and Psillos, Stathis, 1965-
- Causal powers are returning to the forefront of realist philosophy of science. They were once central features of philosophical thinking about the natures of substances and causes but were banished during the early modern era and the Scientific Revolution. In this collection of essays, distinguished scholars revisit the fortunes of causal powers as scientific explanatory principles within the theories of substance and cause across history. Each author is focused on the philosophical role(s) causal powers was/were thought at the time to play and the reasons offered in support of, or against, their coherence and ability to perform their role(s).
- 9780191905858 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition also issued in print: 2021.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33182527