Becoming bourgeois [electronic resource] : merchant culture in the South, 1820-1865 / Frank J. Byrne
- Byrne, Frank J., 1968-
- Lexington, Ky. : University Press of Kentucky, c2006.
- Physical Description:
- x, 297 p. ; 24 cm.
- New directions in southern history
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Merchant culture and the political economy of the old South -- The antebellum merchant in southern society -- The merchant family in the antebellum South -- Secession, merchant-soldiers and the Civil War, 1860-1863 -- Merchants and their families in the Confederacy, 1861-1863 -- The merchant family and the fall of the Confederacy, 1864-1865 -- Conclusion: merchant culture in the slave south and beyond.
- 0813124042 (hardcover : alk. paper), 9780813124049 (hardcover : alk. paper), and 9780813124049
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 259-288) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33206900