The Oxford handbook of dance and competition [electronic resource] / edited by Sherril Dodds
- Additional Titles:
- Handbook of dance and competition
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xx, 662 pages : illustrations; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Dodds, Sherril, 1967-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Taking the cake : Black dance, competition, and value / Nadine George-Graves -- You've got to sell it! : performing on the dance competition stage / Karen Schupp - Competitive capers : gender, gentility, and dancing in early modern England / Emily Winerock -- Endangered strangers : tracking competition in US federal dance funding / Sarah Wilbur -- Marking your territory : the struggle to work in flamenco / Kathy Milazzo -- Re-appropriating choreographies of authenticity in Mexico : competitions and the dance of the old men / Ruth Hellier-Tinoco -- Above and beyond the battle : virtuosity and excess within televised street dance crew competitions / Laura Robinson -- Shifting dynamics : Sean Nós dancing, vernacular expression, and the competitive arena of the Oireachtas / Catherine E. Foley -- Visible rhythms : competition in English tap practice / Sally Crawford-Shepherd -- The International Dancehall Queen Competition : a discursive space for competing images of femininity / Celena Monteiro -- Congratulations, we wish you success : competition and community participation in Romanian dance festivals / Liz Mellish -- Non-competitive body states : corporeal freedom and innovation in contemporary dance / Nalina Wait and Erin Brannigan -- Reclaiming competitive tango : the rise of Argentina's Campeonato Mundial / Juliet McMains -- Dance-off or a battle for the future : dance reality shows in India / Pallabi Chakravorty -- Miss Exotic World : judging the neo-burlesque movement / Kaitlyn Regehr -- Rapper dance adjudication : aesthetics, discourse, and decision making / Jeremy Carter-Gordon -- Dismantling the genre : reality dance competitions and layers of affective intensification / Elena Benthaus -- Why are breaking battles judged? : the rise of international competitions / Mary Fogarty -- Not another Don Quixote! : negotiating China's position on the international ballet stage / Rowan McLelland -- Dancing with the Asian American stars : Margaret Cho and the failure to win / Yutian Wong -- Loss of face : intimidation, derision, and failure in the hip hop battle / Sherril Dodds -- Making play work : competition, spectacle, and intersubjectivity in hybrid martial arts / Janet O'Shea -- You can't out-do Black people : Soul Train, queer witnessing, and pleasurable competition / Melissa Blanco Borelli -- Freedom to compete : neoliberal contradictions in Gaga intensives / Meghan Quinlan -- We'll rumble 'em right : aggression and play in the dance-offs of West Side Story / Ying Zhu and Daniel Belgrad -- Dancing like a man : competition and gender in the New Orleans Second Line / Rachel Carrico -- Man and money ready : challenge dancing in antebellum North America / April F. Masten -- Afterword : who is competing? / Susan Leigh Foster.
- 9780190639082 (cloth : acid-free paper) and 9780190639112 (Oxford handbooks online)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33214212