- Politics, history, and culture
- Notes from the author : crime and Black women's history -- Of law and virtue : Black women in slavery, freedom, and early criminal justice -- Service savors of slavery : labor, autonomy, and turn-of-the-century urban crime -- Tricking the tricks : violence and vice among Black female criminals -- Roughneck women, pale representations, and dark crimes : Black female criminals and popular culture -- Deviant by design : race, degeneracy, and the science of penology -- Conclusion: "She was born in this prison" : Black female crime, past and present.
- African American criminals—Pennsylvania—Philadelphia—History
- Female offenders—Pennsylvania—Philadelphia—History
- Crime and race—Pennsylvania—Philadelphia—History
- Discrimination in criminal justice administration—Pennsylvania—Philadelphia—History
- African American women—Public opinion—History
- African American women—Social conditions
- 0822337614 (cloth : alk. paper)
0822337991 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "A John Hope Franklin Center book"--P. [i].
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -249) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3341168