The justice of war : its foundations in ethics and natural law / Richard A. S. Hall
- Hall, Richard A. S.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 263 pages ; 24 cm
- 1. A defense of just war theory -- 2. Normative ethical theory I : preliminary matters -- 3. Normative ethical theory II : Teleological theories -- 4. Normative ethical theory III : Deontological theories -- 5. A brief history of natural law I : ancient doctrine and theory -- 6. A brief history of natural law II : the scholastic theory -- 7. A brief history of natural law III : The modern theory -- 8. A critique of natural law -- 9. Natural rights -- 10. A brief history of just war theory -- 11. Contemporary just war theory -- 12. Ethical foundations of just war theory with attendant moral issues -- 13. Josiah Royce on the justice of war.
- This book (1) explains how just war theory variously presupposes ethical theories and, particularly, natural law; (2) shows how issues in just war theory might be resolved differently depending on which ethical theory is being appealed to in their proposed resolution; and (3) resolves conflicts among these resolutions.
- 1498590551 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 247-253) and index.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 33516802