Humane professions : the defence of experimental medicine, 1876-1914 / Rob Boddice
- Boddice, Rob
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2021.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 204 pages) : illustrations
- "Had everyone really heard of this in 1871? Darwin gives no clue of the identity of this man, whether it were real or imagined, a trope of scientific cruelty that was somehow already in the air, or a repetition of an anecdote on the lips of the chattering classes. As Darwin was writing, there were the first glimpses of antivivisectionist sentiment in public discourse, but nothing like an organized movement. This aside appeared in a long discussion on the evolution of sympathy, its limits, and the possibilities for its extension. Darwin's sentimental note was published without an inkling that it might have political traction. Events soon overtook him"--
- 9781108786300 electronic book
1108786308 electronic book
9781108780087 electronic book
1108780083 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33517194