The making of America. Central Plains / produced by the Cartographic Division, National Geographic Society ; John B. Garver, Jr., chief cartographer ; John F. Shupe, associate chief ; chief editorial consultant, D.W. Meinig ; principal regional consultant, Michael P. Conzen
- Corporate Author:
- National Geographic Society (U.S.). Cartographic Division
- Additional Titles:
- Title within border: Central Plains
- Washington, D.C. : The Society, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : color ; 50 x 67 cm, folded to 14 x 18 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Garver, John B., Jr., Shupe, John F., Meinig, D. W. (Donald William), 1924-2020, and Conzen, Michael P.
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Insets: 1. Indians and Entryways, 1540-1807. -- 2. Indian Land-White Land, 1803-1845. -- 3. The Great Assault, 1845-1907. -- 4. Last Frontiers, 1870-1907. -- 5. Agricultural Heartland, 1900-present.
- National Geographic U.S. map of the Central Plain region, including a brief discussion about growth in the area on the reverse side.
- Cartographic Mathematical Data:
- Scale 1:2,301,000. 1 cm = 23 km 1ʺ = 36 miles ; Albers conical equal-area projection (W 106°--W 87°/N 44°--N 33°).
- Relief shown by shading and spot heights.
"Design: John F. Dorr, Charles W. Berry ; content: Harry D. Kauhane, Andrew J. Wahll ; research: Gail C. Foley, Jan Holderness."
"Map nine in a series of seventeen."
Also issued, without plastic-coating, as a supplement to the National Geographic.
Includes historical notes, list of abbreviations, and "Metric conversions."
Text and color illustrations on verso.
On verso: Indian Territory--the last stop -- Dust bowl of the continent -- Indian relocation -- 1. Indians and entryways, 1540-1807 -- 2. Indian land--White land, 1803-1845 -- 3. The great assault, 1845-1870 -- 4. Last frontiers, 1870-1907 -- 5. Agriculture heartland, 1900-present.
Publisher's no.: 20006.
View MARC record | catkey: 335302