The Chinese and the iron road [electronic resource] : building the transcontinental railroad / edited by Gordon H. Chang and Shelley Fisher Fishkin, with Hilton Obenzinger and Roland Hsu
- Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 539 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Chang, Gordon H., Fishkin, Shelley Fisher, Obenzinger, Hilton, and Hsu, Roland, 1961-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Chinese railroad workers and the US transcontinental railroad in global perspective / Gordon H. Chang -- Chinese labor migrants to the Americas in the nineteenth century : an inquiry into who they were and the world they left behind / Evelyn Hu-DeHart -- The view from home : dreams of Chinese railroad workers across the Pacific / Zhang Guoxiong, with Roland Hsu -- Overseas remittances of Chinese railroad workers in North America / Yuan Ding, with Roland Hsu -- Chinese railroad workers' remittance networks : insights based on qiaoxiang documents / Liu Jin, with Roland Hsu -- Archaeological contributions to research on Chinese railroad workers in North America / Barbara L. Voss -- Living between misery and triumph : the material practices of Chinese railroad workers in North America / Barbara L. Voss -- Landscapes of change : culture, nature, and the archaeological heritage of transcontinental railroads in the North American West / Kelly J. Dixon -- The health and well-being of Chinese railroad workers / J. Ryan Kennedy, Sarah Heffner, Virginia Popper, Ryan P. Harrod, and John J. Crandall -- Religion on the road : how Chinese migrants adapted popular religion to an American context / Kathryn Gin Lum -- Tracking memory : encounters between Chinese railroad workers and Native Americans / Hsinya Huang -- Railroad frames : landscapes and the Chinese railroad worker in photography, 1865-1869 / Denise Khor -- Les fils du ciel : European travelers' accounts of Chinese railroad workers / Greg Robinson -- The Chinese railroad worker in United States history textbooks : a historical genealogy, 1849-1965 / William Gow -- Representing Chinese railroad workers in North America : Chinese historiography and literature, 1949-2015 / Yuan Shu -- History lessons : remembering Chinese railroad workers in Dragon's gate and Donald Duk / Pin-chia Feng -- The Chinese as railroad builders after Promontory / Shelley Fisher Fishkin -- The construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway and the transpacific Chinese diaspora, 1880-1885 / Zhongping Chen -- Beyond railroad work : Chinese contributions to the development of Winnemucca and Elko, Nevada / Sue Fawn Chung -- The remarkable life of a sometimes railroad worker : Chin Gee Hee, 1844-1929 / Beth Lew-Williams -- The Chinese and the Stanfords : nineteenth-century America's fraught relationship with the China Men / Gordon H. Chang.
- 9781503608290 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 467-508) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33532127