Communication and team performance [electronic resource] : a case study of Division I Football Captains / Leeann M. Lower-Hoppe, Tarkington J. Newman, Kyle B. Heuett, Shea M. Brgoch
- Lower-Hoppe, Leeann M.
- London : Human Kinetics, Inc., 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Newman, Tarkington J., Heuett, Kyle B., and Brgoch, Shea M.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Performance excellence is a core value in athletic teams. A team's intraorganizational network has been considered an important determinant of team performance. However, the role of sport-team captains is often overlooked in lieu of the coaching staff. The purpose of this case study was to explore the relationship between team captains' intrateam ego network and team-performance indicators. The researchers video recorded the intrateam communication of 4 college football-team captains over the course of 9 practices and collected secondary data pertaining to team performance. Analysis of the coded interactions revealed signiﬁcant positive relationships between captains' ego network and the previous week's team performance, with a nonsigniﬁcant correlation with the subsequent week's team performance. Analysis exploring the relationships between captains' ego network and other team-performance indicators provides some support for the impact of intrateam communication on team performance. Implications for coaches and future directions for research are presented.
- 9781529754124 (ebook)
- Originally Published In : Lower-Hoppe, L. M., Newman, T. J., Heuett, K. B., & Brgoch, S. M. (2020). Communication and Team Performance: A Case Study of Division I Football Captains. International Journal of Sport Communication, 13(1), 77-96.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33532764