Community engagement abroad [electronic resource] : perspectives and practices on service, engagement, and learning overseas / edited by Pat Crawford and Brett Berquist
- East Lansing : Michigan State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 184 pages ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Crawford, Pat and Berquist, Brett
- Transformations in higher education : the scholarship of engagement
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The story of place : what we learned about engaged study abroad work at Michigan State University / Frank A. Fear and Karen McKnight Casey -- Intersections between service learning and study abroad : a framework for community engagement abroad / Brett Berquist and Joy Milano -- Transforming conventional short-term, faculty-led study abroad programs into broader platforms for increased community engagement and internationalization / Dan Dutkiewicz and Keri Dutkiewicz -- Experiential learning within the context of international partnerships and study abroad programs : a case study of the cooperation between the urban and regional planning program at Michigan State University and the school of spatial planning at the Dortmund University of Technology / Zenia Kotval, Christiane Ziegler-Hennings, and Anne Budinger -- Learning outcomes of short-term global health electives / Christina Dokter and Gary Willyerd -- Leadership in medicine for the underserved : making it real / Rae Schnuth and Cheryl Celestin -- Community engagement as collaborative inquiry : the case of the Peru study abroad program / Rene Rosenbaum.
- "This book invites educators to rethink everything from disciplinary assumptions to the role of higher education in a globalizing world. Tapping the many such programs developed at Michigan State University for the last half century, the volume develops a comprehensive framework for analyzing community engagement abroad programs. It also offers seven theoretically framed case studies showing how these experiences can change students, faculty, and communities alike. The purposeful broadening of who is involved in such international learning programs leads to conceptual transformation and self-reflection. Each author takes readers on a fascinating journey through how he or she changed as a result of designing and delivering programs in full collaboration with community partners"--
- 9781611863482 (paperback)
9781628963861 (Kindle edition)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33532779