Contested communities [electronic resource] : communication, narration, imagination / edited by Susanne Mühleisen
- Leiden : Brill Rodopi, 
- Physical Description:
- xlii, 319 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Muehleisen, Susanne
- Cross/cultures : readings in post/colonial literatures and cultures in English, 0924-1426 ; volume 190 and ASNEL papers ; volume 21
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- This interdisciplinary volume critically investigates the value and topicality of the concept of community in postcolonial language situations as well as in postcolonial texts and media. Both in actual and in imagined communities, membership is constructed on an assumption of shared features - be it common values, linguistic codes, geographical origin, gender, sexual identity, ethnicity, religion, professional group or joint interests and practices. But how is membership in such communities achieved, manifested, tested or contested? What new forms of community have developed in the wake of globalisation, translocation and digital media communication? Eighteen contributions by scholars in linguistics, literary and cultural studies explore the role of communication, narratives, memory and trauma in processes of belonging or unbelonging in postcolonial contexts.
- 9789004335264 and 9004335269
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33533087