Demystifying the big house [electronic resource] : exploring prison experience and media representations / edited by Katherine A. Foss
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 352 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Foss, Katherine A., 1980-
- Perspectives on crime and justice
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Contents -- Preface -- Introduction: uniting media, prison, and experience / Katherine A. Foss -- Bims, babes and molls in the big house: the women-in-prison genre film / Clare Bratten -- Forever imprisoned? Challenging the gaze in Orange is the new black / Rebecca Kern -- Feminized faith: the intersectionality of religion and gender in Orange is the new black / Joy Jenkins and J. David Wolfgang -- Dominating the (female) incarcerated body: gender and medical control in prison dramas / Katherine A. Foss -- Prison wives: providing a voice to the women behind incarcerated men / S. Lenise Wallace -- Dysfunctional black men: representations of race and masculinity from the days of Oz / Adina Schneeweis -- Stories from death row: articulations behind the scenes / Emily Plec -- Manufacturing masculinity and hope through media production / Kalen Churcher -- "In here and out there": the lived experiences of women lifers / Meredith Huey Dye -- "I am more than a crime:" interviews with women who kill / Kathryn M. Whiteley -- Breastfeeding in prison / Amanda Barnes Cook -- Agnes goes to prison: gender authenticity, transgender inmates in prisons for men, and pursuit of "the real deal" / Valerie Jenness and Sarah Fenstermaker -- Vagrant masculinity: a process of masculine self-conceptualization in formerly incarcerated black men / Le'Brian A. Patrick -- Volunteering behind bars: negotiating roles, resources, and relationships / Pauline Matthey -- Conclusions and implications: through the distorted window; connecting media to experience / Katherine A. Foss -- Contributors -- Index.
- 9780809336579 (pbk. : alk. paper) and 9780809336586 (e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33533955