The DNA of strategy execution [electronic resource] : next generation PMO and strategy execution office / Jack Duggal
- Duggal, Jack
- Hoboken : Wiley, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: Chapter 1 Introduction: Strategy-Execution in a DANCE World Recognize the DANCE: The Need to Re-Think & Re-Invent Which Game Are You Playing? Copernican Revolution in Management From Efficiency and Effectiveness to Experience and Impact Agile DANCE Approach Background How Can You Use this Book? Chapter 2 Agility: Rigor without Rigidity How to re-frame the organizational operating system and mindset for agility Distinguishing Traditional vs. Evolving / Startup Agile Approaches What is Next Generation Project Management and PMO? Which quadrant is your organization in today? How to achieve balance Finding your sweet-spot Startup Sandbox How to Build Effective Fences Fair Process and Procedural Justice Communities & Collaboration Seven Keys for Successful Project Management and PMO Shaping the Future with Project Management and PMO Key Takeaways Chapter 3 DNA of Strategy-Execution The Journey of Identifying the DNA What are the other DNA elements? What is the big deal about the DNA of Strategy Execution? Applying the DNA Developing DNA Intelligence Getting Started: How to apply the DNA to Project Management or PMO Diagnosing the Pain Stakeholder Empathy Map Who is the customer? What is the role, types, models, frameworks and functions of a PMO? Defining Your PMO Developing a Mission / Purpose for your PMO PMO Frameworks What type of PMO approach is right for you? Strategy-Execution Office Developing DNA Maturity and Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 4 Strategy What is Strategy? Strategy is not Planning Whose Fault is it, Strategy or Execution? What is the Role of Project, Program, Portfolio and PMO in Strategy? The DNA Strands of Strategy Decisions vs. Design How can the PMO Link Strategy with Execution? Selecting, Prioritizing and Balancing: Portfolio Management Resource Management: Is it Possible to Defy the Laws of Physics? What Will You Say No To? PMO's role in Portfolio Management Enabling Exploration & Innovation Evaluating Results, Value and Impact Developing Project Management and PMO Strategy Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 5 Execution What is Execution? Strategic-Execution Decoding the DNA Strands of Execution People: Developing Strategy-Execution Capabilities with the Right Talent Process Technology: Tools, Systems, Apps & Bots Types of Project Management and PMO Related Tools FLOW Designing an Adaptive Execution Platform Principles of Design Thinking Designing for Execution Agility Designing a Scalable Adaptive Execution Platform Assessing and Maturing Execution Agility Building Execution Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 6 Governance To Define Effective Governance, Understand its Purpose The strands of governance Adaptive Governance Developing Governance Intelligence Key Takeways Chapter 7 Connect Disconnected and Adrift Power of Connections The DNA Strands of Connect: How and What to Connect? Connecting Stakeholders, Networks and Connections (Identifying the Invisible) Connecting Silos: Bridging the Matrix Connecting Business Activities and Organizational Priorities See the Gap and Make the Connection Connecting Interfaces and Interdependencies Holacracy: Antidote to the Matrix? Connecting is Communicating Why Communication is not Enough, You Need a MarCom Strategy Leveraging Social Media Relationships: Strengthening Relationships and Developing Partnerships Community & Collaboration How to Develop Connect Intelligence? Key Takeaways Chapter 8 Measure Why does measurement continue to be elusive and challenging? The DNA Strands of Measure Purpose Perspective (Customer/Stakeholder) - Whose perspective are we measuring from? Measure vs. Metric Are You Ben or BoB? Presentation and Communication How do we present and communicate the measures and metrics to inspire desired action? Action - What can we do with the measures? Are the measures actionable? Learning - Are we getting effective feedback? Are we learning and adjusting? Defining and Measuring Project Success Objectives and Key Results (OKR) Developing an Integrative Approach: Strategy-Execution Measurement Framework Measuring and Showing PMO Value Illuminating PMO Value Sustaining PMO Value: Managing Value Dissipation & Benefits Erosion Next Generation Measures Project Management Artificial Intelligence (AI) How to Develop Measure Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 9 Change Change is the catalytic element in the DNA of strategy execution. Change is Hard The DNA Strands of Change Awareness Anticipation Absorption Adoption Customer Choices Communication Connectors How to Develop Change Intelligence Dealing with Change Resistance How to Get Results Without being a Nag From Managing Change to Change Making Changing the World with Change Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 10 Learn Traditional PM and PMOs Are Not Organized for Learning Need for a New Perspective Learning from Failure How to Make Failure Survivable The DNA Strands of Learn: 7 C's of Cultivating a Learning Environment & PMO Culture Curiosity Capture Community and Collaboration Curation Correcting (Self-correction and Application) Continuous Innovation Moving from Continuous Improvement to Continuous Innovation Meta Learning Key Takeaways Chapter 11 Simplify: Building the Department of Simplicity Kill the PMO Why Simplicity is a Strategic Imperative in Today's Disruptive DANCE-World? Optimizing for Efficiency versus Optimizing for Simplicity Why Simplicity is Hard? PM & PMO Principles of Simplicity How to Build Your Own Department of Simplicity Re-thinking Maturity: Subtraction, not Addition Project and PMO Experience: Creating Raving Fans Developing Simplify Intelligence Key Takeaways Chapter 12 Balance: DANCEing on the Edge of Chaos Dealing with the DANCE Agile Being Agile Thriving at the Edge of Chaos What is the Next Generation? Ten Skills for Next Generation Project Management and PMOs Application Questions Feedback Loops: Project Management / PMO Delight Index (PDI) Ben or BoB? Appendix A PMO Functions & Activities Service Catalog Appendix B Application of DNA of Strategy-Execution.
- "A transformative framework to bring the PMO into the future The DNA of Strategy Execution provides clear guidance and a practical framework for moving forward amidst the dynamic changes in today’s business environment. The PMO walks a tightrope between creativity and structure, between innovation and bureaucracy; demands for formal structures and discipline counter the need to be responsive and adaptive. This book provides a fresh perspective, with a real-world blueprint for the modern PMO. Through a set of practical tools, best practices, and a series of short supporting case studies from different industries, you’ll discover how to strike the critical balance, prove value, and reconcile divergent needs into a more agile next generation PMO. The Project Management Office is a common fixture that is facing new challenges—many of which appear diametrically opposed. But today’s turbulent and disruptive business environment demands a solution, and this insightful guide shines a light on the path forward. Build adaptive capabilities to thrive in uncertain environments Maintain creativity and innovation while building responsiveness Prove value amidst a perception of overhead and bureaucracy Maintain relevancy with a fresh perspective and transformative framework Today’s environment is tough; stakeholders are no longer satisfied with on-scope, on-time, and on-budget delivery, and the PMO is under pressure to show their worth in the era of cost-cutting. It’s up to the PMO itself to navigate these rapids without overturning the boat, and natural evolution is no longer enough; today’s environment calls for a complete transformation to bring the PMO into the future. The DNA of Strategy Execution provides the plan, and the tools to bring it to life"-- and "This book provides clear guidance and a practical framework for moving forward amidst the dynamic changes in today's business environment. The PMO walks a tightrope between creativity and structure, between innovation and bureaucracy; demands for formal structures and discipline counter the need to be responsive and adaptive. This book provides a fresh perspective, with a real-world blueprint for the modern PMO. Through a set of practical tools, best practices, and a series of short supporting case studies from different industries, you'll discover how to strike the critical balance, prove value, and reconcile divergent needs into a more agile next generation PMO"--
- 9781119378891 (pdf), 9781119378730 (epub), and 9781119278016 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33534453