The golden age of the classics in America [electronic resource] : Greece, Rome, and the antebellum United States / Carl J. Richard
- Richard, Carl J.
- Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 258 p. ; 25 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Classical conditioning : school, home, and society -- Democracy -- Pastoralism and utilitarianism -- Nationalism -- Romanticism -- Christianity -- Slavery.
- Civilization, Classical—Study and teaching—United States—History—19th century
- Classical literature—Study and teaching—United States—History—19th century
- Political culture—United States—History—19th century
- Education—United States—History—19th century
- United States—Civilization—Classical influences
- United States—Civilization—1783-1865
- United States—Intellectual life—1783-1865
- Greece—Study and teaching—United States—History—19th century
- Rome—Study and teaching—United States—History—19th century
- United States—Social conditions—To 1865
- 9780674032644 (alk. paper)
0674032640 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -249) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 33537657