Looking beyond the highway : Dixie roads and culture / edited by Claudette Stager and Martha Carver
- Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 298 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Stager, Claudette
Carver, Martha, 1954-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- The best road south : the failure of the Dixie Highway in Indiana / Suzanne Fischer -- Drivin' the Dixie Highway in Tennessee / Martha Carver -- Sidebar : Tennessee Highway Patrol Building, Rockwood / Amanda Regier -- Heading south without getting sidetracked : the Dixie Highway in Georgia / Jeffrey L. Durbin -- Sidebar : Atlanta campaign waysides / Tara Mitchell Mielnik -- Pleasing the eye : brick paving and the Dixie Highway in the Sunshine State / Walter S. Marder -- Connecting the east and west coasts : the Taimiami [sic] Trail of the Sunshine State / Carrie Scupholm -- The Dollarway Road and road improvement districts in Arkansas, 1913-1921 / Christie H. McLaren -- The daughters of the American Revolution : Roane F. Byrnes, and the birth of the Natchez Trace Parkway / Sara Amy Leach -- Roadside luxury : urban hotels and modern streets along the Dixie Highway / R. Stephen Sennott -- Tourist lodging in the Great Smoky Mountains and the transition from regional to national style / Blythe Semmer -- Myrtle Beach : music and motels / Katherine Fuller -- Caving and clogging : keepin' cool in Tennessee's caves / Ruth Nichols Keenoy and Robbie D. Jones -- Park 'n' pray : an examination of drive-in religion in Florida / Carrie Scupholm -- Get right with God : Harrison Mayes's advertising campaign for the Lord / Martha Carver -- Buy one, get two free : fireworks / Karl Puljak -- Sidebar : fireworks / Tammy Allison -- Viewpoints and points of view : Florida's early tourist towers / Kimberly D. Hinder -- Seeing the scenic Upland South : mother nature and the morphology of tourist landscapes / Kevin J. Patrick -- Pilgrimage route to paradise : the sacred and profane along the Dixie Highway / Robert M. Craig.
- 1572334673 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3375791