Data Governance and Compliance [electronic resource] : Evolving to Our Current High Stakes Environment / by Rupa Mahanti
- Mahanti, Rupa
- Singapore : Springer Singapore : Imprint: Springer, 2021.
- 1st ed. 2021.
- Physical Description:
- XXXIII, 193 p. 29 illus., 28 illus. in color. online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Basics of Governance -- History and Evolution -- Data Governance and Compliance.
- This book sets the stage of the evolution of corporate governance, laws and regulations, other forms of governance, and the interaction between data governance and other corporate governance sub-disciplines. Given the continuously evolving and complex regulatory landscape and the growing number of laws and regulations, compliance is a widely discussed issue in the field of data. This book considers the cost of non-compliance bringing in examples from different industries of instances in which companies failed to comply with rules, regulations, and other legal obligations, and goes on to explain how data governance helps in avoiding such pitfalls. The first in a three-volume series on data governance, this book does not assume any prior or specialist knowledge in data governance and will be highly beneficial for IT, management and law students, academics, information management and business professionals, and researchers to enhance their knowledge and get guidance in managing their own data governance projects from a governance and compliance perspective. Rupa Mahanti, Ph.D. is a Business and Information Management consultant and has worked in different solution environments, industries and geographies. She helps clients with activities such as business process improvement, information management (such as DQ, DG, etc.), strategy and more. She is an associate editor at Software Quality Professional, and the author of Data Quality. "This book provides a great road map for anyone who's just been told by their immediate manager that they are now in charge of data governance for the company, and for anyone interested in the deep and fascinating world of governing today's large corporations, government entities, and non-profit organizations, and their impact on all of our lives." -Dan Power, Founder and President of Hub Solution Designs, Inc "Rupa Mahanti has written an essential and ambitious compendium on data governance. She provides a sweeping history on how we got to our present state and grounds her research and recommendations in interviews with business thinkers on data governance. Along the way, she sorts out some of the confusions that bedevil us--corporate governance vs management, IT governance vs data governance, regulatory compliance vs quality--as we try to make smart use of data to meet business goals. Organizations grappling with the challenges of compliance with regulations and standards will find robust ideas to aid their efforts. This book is a great resource for both academic and business practitioners." -Eileen Forrestor, CEO of Forrester Leadership Group, Author of CMMI for Services, Guidelines for Superior Service.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 33847895