Making it work : low-wage employment, family life, and child development / Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Thomas S. Weisner, and Edward D. Lowe, editors
- New York : Russell Sage Foundation, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 427 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Yoshikawa, Hirokazu, Weisner, Thomas S., 1943-, and Lowe, Edward D.
Full Text available online
- Introduction : raising children where work has disappeared / Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Thomas S. Weisner, and Edward D. Lowe -- Pathways through low-wage work / Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Edward D. Lowe, Thomas S. Weisner, JoAnn Hsueh, Noemí Enchautegui-de-Jesús, Anna Gassman-Pines, Erin B. Godfrey, Eboni C. Howard, Rashmita S. Mistry, and Amanda L. Roy -- Do pathways through low-wage work matter for children's development / Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Edward D. Lowe, Johannes M. Bos, Thomas S. Weisner, Valentina Nikulina, and JoAnn Hsueh -- Job quality among low-income mothers : experiences and associations with children's development / Noemí Enchautegui-de-Jesús, Hirokazu Yoshikawa, and Vonnie C. McLoyd -- Mothers at work in a 24-7 economy : exploring implications for family and child well-being / JoAnn Hsueh -- Discrimination in the low-wage workplace : the unspoken barrier to employment / Amanda L. Roy, Hirokazu Yoshikawa, and Sandra Nay -- "I want what everybody wants" : goals, values, and work in the lives of New Hope families / Thomas S. Weisner, Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Edward D. Lowe, and Faye Carter -- What earnings and income buy : the "basics" plus "a little extra" : implications for family and child well-being /Rashmita S. Mistry and Edward D. Lowe -- Can money buy you love? : dynamic employment characteristics, the New Hope project, and entry into marriage / Anna Gassman-Pines, Hirokazu Yoshikawa, and Sandra Nay -- Child care and low-wage employment / Edward D. Lowe and Thomas S. Weisner -- The informal social support, well-being, and employment pathways of low-income mothers / Eboni C. Howard -- Do formal work support services work? : experiences of the New Hope project and the Wisconsin Works programs / Erin B. Godfrey and Hirokazu Yoshikawa -- Summary and policy implications : improving the world of work for low-income parents and their children / Hirokazu Yoshikawa, Anna Gassman-Pines, Thomas S. Weisner, and Edward D. Lowe.
- 0871549727 and 9780871549723
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 388-412) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3402199