The royall gailliarde : Mr. Isaac's new dance made for Her Majesty's birth day 1710 / the tune by Mr. Paisible ; engraven in characters & figures for the use of ma[ste]rs writt [sic] by Mr. de la Garde ...
- Isaac, Mr.
- Additional Titles:
- Royal galliard
- London : Printed for J. Walsh & P. Randall ... & J. Hare, [1710?]
- Physical Description:
- 14 unnumbered leaves : illustrations, music ; 29 cm (folio)
- Additional Creators:
- Paisible, James, 1656?-1721
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This ballroom dance for one couple, preserved in Feuillet notation, was choreographed by English dancing master Mr. Isaac (c. 1640-c. 1720) to music composed by James Paisible (d. 1721). The fifteen couplet dance begins in duple meter, changes to a triple meter sarabande at the tenth couplet, and changes once more to a canary on the twelfth couplet. The dance notation system, first published by dancing master Raoul-Auger Feuillet (1659 or 1660-1710), is based on tract drawings that trace the pattern of the dance. Additionally, bar lines in the dance score correspond to bar lines in the music score. Signs written on the right- or left-hand side of the tract indicate the steps.
- Mary Ann O'Brian Malkin Dance Collection, 1531-1804.
- Other Forms:
- Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Gift of Mary Ann O'Brian Malkin, 2003/4.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- RISM A/I, P 97.
Malkin, M.A.O. Dancing by the book (2003), 55
View MARC record | catkey: 3404150