BBC Proms. 2000, Berlioz requiem / director, Suzy Klein ; producer, Caroline Speed ; directed by Helen Mansfield ; [music by Hector Berlioz].
- Berlioz, Hector, 1803-1869
- Uniform Title:
- Grande Messe des morts
- Additional Titles:
- BBC Proms. 2000, Berlioz : requiem
- London, England : BBC Worldwide, 2000.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (113 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Mansfield, Helen, Klein, Suzy, Speed, Caroline, Neill, Stuart, Davis, Colin, 1927-2013, BBC Worldwide Ltd, and British Broadcasting Corporation
- Language Note:
- Sung in Latin with English subtitles; program presented in English.
- Conceived below the cupola of St Peter's in Rome, premiered beneath the dome of Les Invalides in Paris, Berlioz's Requiem (Grande Messe des Morts) - a sonorous mix of apocalyptic drama and quiet devotion - is performed at the Royal Albert Hall by a unique combination of young musicians from the Paris Conservatoire, London's Guildhall School of Music & Drama and the Philharmonia Chorus. This 400-strong chorus is brought together under the baton of the British conductor, Sir Colin Davis, who almost single-handedly re-established the French composer's international reputation with his pioneering performances and recordings in the '60s and '70s.
- Medium of Performance:
- tenor voice 1 mixed chorus 4 orchestra 2 1 6
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed April 12, 2021).
Written in 1837.
For tenor solo voice, quadruple mixed chorus, and double orchestra.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Stuart Neill, tenor ; Symphonic Voices ; Philharmonia Chorus ; Chorus and Orchestra of the Paris Conservatoire ; Chorus and Orchestra of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama ; conducted by Sir Colin Davis ; introduced by James Naughtie.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded Royal Albert Hall, London, England 2000.
View MARC record | catkey: 34151304