African diaspora in Brazil [electronic resource] : history, culture and politics / edited by Fassil Demissie
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (149 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Demissie, Fassil
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 1. Introduction / Fassil Demissie -- 2. Deconstructing invisibility : race and politics of visual culture in Brazil / Julio Cesar de Tavares -- 3. Retaking the Middle Passage : glimpses of a modern African diaspora in Brazil / Wangui Kimari -- 4. Afro-Brazilian poetry : a laboratory of identity / Cyril Vettorato -- 5. Blackness in movement : identifying with capoeira Angola in and out of Brazil / Scott Head and Heloisa Gravina -- 6. The jogo de capoeira and the fallacy of 'creole' cultural forms / T.J. Desch Obi -- 7. A Benca : The Blessings of the Bando de Teatro Olodum / Cheryl Sterling -- 8. Food and spirits : religion, gender, and identity in the 'African' cuisine of Northeast Brazil / Allan Charles Dawson -- 9. Black leaders and their concept of freedom in nineteenth century northeast Brazil / Tshombe Miles -- 10. The struggle for black land rights in Brazil : an insider's view on quilombos and the quilombo land movement / Merle L. Bowen -- 11. Race talk in a public high school in Salvador Bahia : discourses of power and resistance / Jenifer Crawford-Lima. [et al.].
- 9781134918775 (e-book: PDF) (e-book : PDF), 9781134918843 (e-book: ePub), 9781134918911 (e-book: Mobi), 9780415824811 (print) (hardback), and 9781138948341 (print) (paperback)
View MARC record | catkey: 34163336