Fighting the slave-hunters in Central Africa : a record of twenty-six years of travel and adventure round the Great Lakes and of the overthrow of Tip-Pu-Tib, Rumaliza and other great slave-traders / by Alfred J. Swann ; with a new introduction
- Swann, Alfred J. (Alfred James), 1856-1928
- London : Cass, 1969.
- Second edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (lxxii, 19-358 pages).
- ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Click here to view.
- ch. 1. Arrival at Zanzibar, preparations for the journey -- ch. 2. Porters and their loads, the long march to Lake Tanganyika commenced, an amusing incident, the charm of African life, insight into native character -- ch. 3. Cruelties of the slave-trade, Major Von Wissmann, difficulties of the road, 'pay or fight', loyal service, a narrow escape, the mighty Mirambo, native and lion -- ch. 4. A greedy ferryman, fetish, Ujiji and Lake Tanganyika, Livingstone and Stanley, a whited sepulchre, ivory and slaves, launching a canoe, the people of the plain -- ch. 5. Opposition of the natives, launch of the 'Morning Star', Tip-pu-Tib, the Lofu River, building a steam vessel, a tragedy, Rugaruga bullies -- ch. 6. Fire and sword, a sceptical native, an angry hippopotamus, launch of the 'Good News', medicine and surgery, a cruel punishment, a nativel duel : its tragic result -- ch. 7. A diplomatic scramble, manna, the Amambwi, unpleasant visitors -- ch. 8. Navigating the Shire River, Blantyre, Ramakukane, game and fish, Shupanga -- ch. 9. A visit to England, a sailor's blow, Charles Stokes, Germans and Arabs, encounter with Masai, white man's medicine, warnings -- ch. 10. Shotting giraffes, a cool reception, a visit to Rumaliza, Tip-pu-Tib, anger of Rumaliza, hostilities commenced, Congo state officials, Emin Pasha -- ch. 11. Captain Trivier, game pits, an annexation, the Walungu marriage customs, the curse of the people -- ch. 12. Making treaties, hunting the hippopotamus, boiling springs, religious views, a nugget, scenery of Lake Tanganyika, a native regatta -- ch. 13. The people of the Tangayika, the cannibal, the Warunds, a conjurer, the fauna of the Rusizi, attacked by leopards, a storm on the lake, swamped -- ch. 14. Salving the boat, a great disappointment, trouble with the Arabs, a mischievous monkey, an act of revenge -- ch. 15. General unrest, storming stockages, Rumaliza the slave-trader -- ch. 16. The potentialities of the African, suppression of the raiding, children's games, analysing the native character -- ch. 17. Bio-game hunting, a wild trip across Nyasa, an eclipse, a memorable interview -- ch. 18. Bishop Maples, capture of Mwasi's stronghold, infantile mortality -- ch. 19. Wonderful industrial development -- ch. 20. Traits of character, resources of the country.
- 9780203042410 (e-book : PDF)
9781136256745 (e-book: PDF)
9781136256813 (e-book: ePub)
9781136256882 (e-book: Mobi)
View MARC record | catkey: 34502775