The Physics of Atoms and Quanta [electronic resource] : Introduction to Experiments and Theory / by Hermann Haken, Hans Christoph Wolf
- Haken, H.
- Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 2000.
- 6th ed. 2000.
- Physical Description:
- XX, 503 pages 3 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Wolf, Hans Christoph and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Advanced Texts in Physics, 1439-2674
- 1. Introduction -- 2. The Mass and Size of the Atom -- 3. Isotopes -- 4. The Nucleus of the Atom -- 5. The Photon -- 6. The Electron -- 7. Some Basic Properties of Matter Waves -- 8. Bohr's Model of the Hydrogen Atom -- 9. The Mathematical Framework of Quantum Theory -- 10. Quantum Mechanics of the Hydrogen Atom -- 11. Lifting of the Orbital Degeneracy in the Spectra of Alkali Atoms -- 12. Orbital and Spin Magnetism. Fine Structure -- 13. Atoms in a Magnetic Field: Experiments and Their Semiclassical Description -- 14. Atoms in a Magnetic Field: Quantum Mechanical Treatment -- 15. Atoms in an Electric Field -- 16. General Laws of Optical Transitions -- 17. Many-Electron Atoms -- 18. X-Ray Spectra, Internal Shells -- 19. Structure of the Periodic System. Ground States of the Elements -- 20. Nuclear Spin, Hyperfine Structure -- 21. The Laser -- 22. Modern Methods of Optical Spectroscopy -- 23. Progress in Quantum Physics: A Deeper Understanding and New Applications -- 24. Fundamentals of the Quantum Theory of Chemical Bonding -- Append -- A. The Dirac Delta Function and the Normalisation of the Wavefunction of a Free Particle in Unbounded Space -- B. Some Properties of the Hamiltonian Operator, Its Eigenfunctions and its Eigenvalues -- C. Derivation of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Relation -- Solutions to the Problems.
- The Physics of Atoms and Quanta is a thorough introduction to experiments and theory in this field. Every classical and modern aspect is covered and discussed in detail. As this text ends with the fundamentals of classical bonding, it leads into the second and more advanced book by the same authors entitled "Molecular Physics and Elements of Quantum Chemistry". This 6th edition includes new developments, such as new experiments on quantum entanglement, the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradoxon, Bell's inequality, Schrödinger's cat, and decoherence; the quantum computer, quantum information, Bose-Einstein-Condensation, and the atom laser are also discussed. Here, the student will find 170 problems and their solutions, which make this book a real study text.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- PDF and text file
View MARC record | catkey: 34509642