Highlights of Astronomy [electronic resource] : Part I as Presented at the XVIth General Assembly 1976 / edited by E.A. Müller
- Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands : Imprint: Springer, 1977.
- 1st ed. 1977.
- Physical Description:
- 377 pages 1,717 illustrations : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Müller, E.A. and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Invited Discourses -- L'Astronomie Infrarouge et les Poussières Galactiques -- Astronomy and the Laws of Physics -- Exploration of the Planets -- Joint Discussions -- 2. X-Ray Binaries and Compact Objects -- 3. Space Missions to the Moon and Planets -- 4. Clusters of Galaxies, Cosmology and Intergalactic Matter -- Joint Meetings -- Prospects in Space Astrometry.
- It has become a tradition in the Union to publish the Invited Discourses and the Proceedings of the Joint Discussions held at a Gene ral Assembly in a separate volume entitled HIGHLIGHTS OF ASTRONOMY. This is the fourth volume of its kind and it contains some of the scientific highlights of the Grenoble General Assembly. In order to reduce its size it was decided to publish its content in two separate parts. The part (I) contains the full texts of the In vited Discourses given by Prof. J.-C. Pecker and by Dr. C. Sagan, and an abstract of Dr. P. Morrison's paper, thus complying with his wish to forego publication of the full text of his Discourse. Furthermore it collects the proceedings of three Joint Discussions and one Joint Meeting all of which are related essentially to observations from space, to external galaxies and to cosmology. Part (n) contains the proceedings of the four Joint Discussions and one Joint Meeting related essentially to stars and the structure of our Galaxy. Clearly Volume 4 (parts I and TI) of the Highlights reflects only a part of the scientific activities which took place at the Grenoble General Assembly. Many more important papers and discussions were held during Commission meetings and joint meetings. They may be found in the Commissions' reports published in the Transactions Vol. XVI B, 1977.
- Digital File Characteristics:
View MARC record | catkey: 34511967