The Mount Vernon Reader : A Course Of Reading Lessons, Selected With Reference To Their Moral Influence On The Hearts And Lives Of The Young; Designed For Middle Classes Primer; Anthology. 1835
- Abbott, Jacob (c.1803-1879)
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, Massachusetts : John Allen & Co, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 3 unnumbered pages, 8-252 pages : illustrations ; 16 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Abbott, John S C (1805-1877) and Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- "The design ... of the Mount Vernon reader, is to exert a direct and powerful moral influence upon the hearts of the children receiving education in the schools of this country ... The editors have been aided by several individuals, who are, or have been, practically engaged in the business of teaching ... Many of the articles are original; others have been contributed by authors, from their own writings; others have been selected by the compilers from such writings as they have thought suitable to their purpose; and, in this case, credit has been given. It is intended that this work shall be followed by two others, for classes younger and older than those for whom this is designed. The name is selected as one convenient for the purpose of distinction, and, at the same time, having pleasant associations in the mind of every American."--Preface, p. [v]-vi. Includes poems, a hymn, a fable, dialogues, and nursery rhymes; signed by various authors. Also includes "The interment of Wilberforce in Westminster Abbey," and a story about George Washington. Running title: Middle class reader. By Jacob and John Abbott. Copyright 1835 by George Spring. Each paragraph numbered. In printed boards with leather spine. Frontispiece engraved on wood by Alexander Anderson."
- AMDigital Reference:237063
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: The Mount Vernon Reader : A Course Of Reading Lessons, Selected With Reference To Their Moral Influence On The Hearts And Lives Of The Young; Designed For Middle Classes, 1835
- Location of Originals:
- American Antiquarian Society
- Copyright Note:
- Content compilation (c) 2020, by the American Antiquarian Society. All rights reserved.
View MARC record | catkey: 34525165