The three bears, c.1859-1861 / Joseph Cundall, Robert Southey ; illustrators, Harrison Weir, Walter George Mason, John Greenaway, W. Wright
- Cundall, Joseph, 1818-1895
- New York : Sheldon & Co., 1861.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 volume (14 pages)) : illustrations (colour).
- Additional Creators:
- Weir, Harrison, 1824-1906, Mason, Walter George, 1820-1866, Greenaway, John, 1816-1890, Wright, w., and Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Indestructible pleasure books, with colored pictures and Children's literature and culture
- Audience Notes:
- AMDigital Reference: CL-Pam T531 B368 1859., "Record ID: 221661"--Home page., "Sub Collection: Important Authors/Titles/Illustrators"--Home page., "Catalog Notes: [New York] : Published by Sheldon & Co., 115 Nassau Street, New York., [between 1859 and 1861?] 14,  p. : ill. ; 19 cm. Title and imprint statement transcribed from p.  of printed wrapper. Series title transposed from head of wrapper. Caption title: The story of the three bears. The text and pictures originally appeared in A treasury of pleasure books for young children (1850), edited by Joseph Cundall. Cundall states, "'The story of the three bears' is a very old nursery tale, but it was never so well told as by the great poet Southey, whose version I have (with permission) given you, only I have made the intruder a little girl instead of an old woman. This I did because I found that the tale is better known with Silver-Hair, and because there are so many other stories of old women."--p. [v] of an 1853 issue of A treasury of pleasure books for young children. Sheldon & Company was located at 115 Nassau St., New York, between 1859 and 1861. Text printed on linen. "Illustrated with six drawings by Harrison Weir. Engraved by W.G. Mason and Greenaway & Wright."--illustration statement, 1850 issue of The story of the three bears, in an 1850 issue of A treasury of pleasure books for young children. Engravings in that issue are identical to the engravings in the issue in hand. "Indestructible pleasure books. Beautifully printed on linen in oil colors."--series list, p.  of wrapper. Publisher's advertisement, p.  of wrapper"--Home page., and "Catalog Record Note: Catalog Records (c) 2020, by the American Antiquarian Society. All rights reserved"--Home page.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2020. Digitized from a copy held by the American Antiquarian Society and made available by Adam Matthew Digital.
- Location of Originals:
- American Antiquarian Society
- Copyright Note:
- Content compilation (c) 2020, by the American Antiquarian Society. All rights reserved.
View MARC record | catkey: 34529865