Postwar migration patterns in southern Europe, 1950-2000 : an economic analysis / Alessandra Venturini
- Venturini, Alessandra
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Copyright Date:
- copyright 2004
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiii, 286 pages) : illustrations
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Part I. The Evolution of Migration in Southern European Countries: 1. The evolution of migration; 2. Approaches to the analysis of migratory phenomena; Part II. The Choice to Migrate: 3. An overview of the economic models; 4. Comments on an empirical version of the economic model; 5. The gravitational approach to migration; 6. The sociological approach to the migratory chain; 7. The evolution of migratory flows; 8. Empirical tests; 9. Final conclusions and implications for the flows of immigrants today; Part III. The Effects of Immigration on the Receiving Country: 10. An overview of models by main themes; 11. Complementarity and substitution: empirical evidence; 12. Conclusions; Part IV. The Effects of Emigration on the Country of Origin: 13. Emigration and growth; 14. Population and the labour market; 15. Emigrants' remittances; Part V. The Effectiveness of Migration Policies: 16. Immigration policy in its strictest sense; 17. Citizenship and naturalization; 18. Integration policies: linguistic proficiency: 19. Conclusions.
- Managing migration promises to be one of the most difficult challenges of the twenty-first century. It will be even more difficult for south European countries, from which emigration has levelled off and to which immigration has become a significant economic issue. Southern Europe is close to other regions where the pressure to emigrate is intense: these regions have a high level of unemployment, above the European Union average, and a large informal sector, often 15-25 per cent of their economies as a whole. This book analyses the southern European migration case using an economic approach. It combines a theoretical and an empirical approach on the fundamental migration issues -- the decision to migrate, effects on the country of departure and country of destination, and the effectiveness of policies in managing migration.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed December 15, 2017).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 241-267) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34532650