Costly communion [electronic resource] : ecumenical initiative and sacramental strife in the Anglican Communion / edited by Mark D. Chapman, Jeremy Bonner
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 323 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Chapman, Mark D. (Mark David), 1960- and Bonner, Jeremy
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction / Jeremy Bonner and Mark D. Chapman -- Confirmation - the excluding feature? A study of Anglican confirmation in its ecumenical implications 1870-1920 / Colin Buchanan -- Confirmation and figuration in the Thornton-Lampe debate / Jeff Boldt -- 'Out of conflict - development' : the doctrine of eucharistic sacrifice in twentieth-century Anglo-Catholicism / Hugh Bowron -- 'The sacramental universe' : theologies of nature in North Atlantic Anglicanism, 1922-2012 / Benjamin Guyer -- The 1913 Kikuyu Conference, Anglo-Catholics and the Church of England / Mark D. Chapman -- The Kikuyu proposals in their contemporary ecumenical perspective / Charlotte Methuen -- 'The assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen' : Bishop John Jamieson Willis and the mission of the Church, 1910-1947 / Jeremy Bonner -- The cost of being 'Catholick and Apostolick' for the Church Missionary Society, 1899-1939 / Ken Farrimond -- The poverty of Anglican prophecy and the legacy of Arthur Shearly Cripps in colonial Zimbabwe / Thomas Mhuriro -- The role of the invisible but visible women in the 1913 the KIikuyu Conference / Esther Mombo -- The Kikuyu Conference as a precursor to the development of African Christian theology / Zablon Nthamburi -- The Kenyan Alliance of Protestant Missions 1919-1963 : ecumenism adrift in a colonial society / Kevin Ward -- The Kikuyu Conference and Global South Anglicanism : for what does the Anglican Communion stand? / Joseph Galgalo.
- Costly Communion: Ecumenical Initiative and Sacramental Strife in the Anglican Communion seeks to engage with Anglicanism's theological responses to the onset of the twilight of empire and to explore the diversity of Anglican sacramental and ecumenical controversies during the twentieth century. From sacramental initiation and the doctrine of Eucharistic sacrifice to church order and the historic episcopate, Costly Communion offers insights into Anglo-Catholic and Evangelical attempts to resolve the divisions provoked by the impact of the Oxford Movement from the 1830s. In its engagement with sub-Saharan African contextualization of the Anglican, moreover, Costly Communion analyses the unanticipated threat that Anglican diversity now poses for the unity of the Anglican Communion--Provided by publisher.
- 9789004388697 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34542848