Dynamism in the urban society of Damascus [electronic resource] : the Ṣāliḥiyya Quarter from the twelfth to the twentieth centuries / by Toru Miura
- Miura, Tōru, 1953-
- Boston ; Leiden : Brill, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Islamic area studies ; v. 2
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: Towards a new perspective of Islamic urban societies from a suburban quarter of Damascus -- 1. Madrasas and waqfs in Damascus: the basis of urban development -- 2. Formation of the Ṣāliḥiyya quarter in the northern suburbs in the Ayyubid and Mamluk periods -- 3. The structure and transformation of the Ṣāliḥiyya quarter -- 4. Administrative networks in the late Mamluk period: taxation and bribery -- 5. Urban society in Damascus at the end of the Mamluk period: emergence of jama?a (factions) and zu?r (outlaws) -- 6. Ambiguous relations between religious institutions and waqf properties at the beginning of Ottoman rule -- 7. Personal networks surrounding the Ṣāliḥiyya court in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries -- 8. Formality and reality in shari?a court records: socio-economic relations in the Ṣāliḥiyya quarter in the nineteenth century -- 9. Changes in waqf institutions and the internal organisation of the quarter at the beginning of the twentieth century -- Conclusion: Dynamism of personal networks and social justice.
- 9789004304437 (electronic book)
9789004304413 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34544135