Gardens of Renaissance Europe and the Islamic empires [electronic resource] : encounters and confluences / edited by Mohammad Gharipour
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xix, 250 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 27 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Gharipour, Mohammad
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Prologue : paradigm problems : Islamic gardens in an expanding field / D. Fairchild Ruggles -- Embracing the other : Venetian garden design, early modern travelers, and the Islamic landscape / Christopher Pastore -- Staging the civilizing elements in the gardens of Rome and Istanbul / Simone M. Kaiser -- The art of garden design in France : Ottoman influences at the time of the "scandalous alliance" / Laurent Paya -- "For beauty, and air, and view" : contemplating the wider surroundings of sixteenth-century Mughal and European gardens / Jill Sinclair -- The gardens of Safavid Isfahan and Renaissance Italy : a new urban landscape? / Mohammad Gharipour -- "Elysian fields such as the poets dreamed of" : the Mughal garden in the early Stuart mind / Paula Henderson -- Garden encounters : Portugal and India in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries / Cristina Castel-Branco -- Carved pools, rock-cut elephants, inscriptions, and tree columns : Mughal landscape art as imperial expression and its analogies to the Renaissance garden / Ebba Koch -- Epilogue : Italian Renaissance gardens and the Middle East : cultural exchange in the longue durée / Anatole Tchikine.
- "A collection of essays exploring similarities between gardens and designed landscapes in Europe and the Islamic world after the fifteenth century. Essays identify possible direct or indirect influences and examine transcontinental mutual influences in garden design"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780271077796 (cloth : alk. paper)
0271077794 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34545976