Just Transitions [electronic resource]: Explorations of Sustainability in an Unfair World
- Swilling, Mark
- Cape Town : University of Cape Town Press Feb. 2012 Chicago : Independent Publishers Group [Distributor]
- Physical Description:
- 384 p. 09.750 x 06.500 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Annecke, Eve
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Annotation Current economic growth strategies are rapidly depleting natural resources and eco-systems. Just Transitions provides a comprehensive overview of these global challenges from a global South perspective. How do developing countries eradicate poverty via economic development while encountering the consequences of global warming and dwindling supplies of clean water, productive soils, cheap oil, minerals and other resources? This book considers a just transition which reconciles the sustainable use of natural resources with a pervasive commitment to sufficiency (where over-consumers are satisfied with less so that under-consumers can secure enough). Case studies drawn from Africa detail the challenges, but they are set in the context of global trends. The authors conclude with their experience of building a community that aspires to live sustainably.
- 9781919895239 and 191989523X (Trade Paper)
- Audience Notes:
- Scholarly & Professional University of Cape Town Press
View MARC record | catkey: 34548512