Memory, politics, and Yugoslav migrations to postwar Germany [electronic resource] / Christopher A. Molnar
- Molnar, Christopher A.
- Bloomington, IN : Indiana University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xv, 235 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- Communities of victims: Croatian Émigrés and Germans in the 1950s -- History on trial: migration, political violence, and memories of World War II -- Second-class refugees: the West German-Yugoslav migration regime and the asylum problem -- Imagining Yugoslavs: from communist agents to ambassadors of peace -- The return of the nation: Bosnian refugees in the new Germany -- Epilogue.
- During Europe's 2015 refugee crisis, more than a hundred thousand asylum seekers from the western Balkans sought refuge in Germany. This was nothing new, however; immigrants from the Balkans have streamed into West Germany in massive numbers throughout the long postwar era. Memory, politics, and Yugoslav migrations to postwar Germany tells the story of how Germans received the many thousands of Yugoslavs who migrated to Germany as political émigrés, labor migrants, asylum seekers, and war refugees from 1945 to the mid-1990s. While Yugoslavs made up the second largest immigrant group in the country, their impact has received little critical attention until now. With a particular focus on German policies and attitudes towards immigrants, Christopher Molnar argues that considerations of race played only a marginal role in German attitudes and policies towards Yugoslavs. Rather, the history of Yugoslavs in postwar Germany was most profoundly shaped by the memory of World War II and the shifting Cold War context. Molnar shows how immigration was a key way in which Germany negotiated the meaning and legacy of the war.
- Yugoslavs—Germany—History—20th century
- Immigrants—Germany—Social conditions—20th century
- Immigrants—Government policy—Germany—History—20th century
- Refugees—Germany—History—20th century
- World War, 1939-1945—Refugees—Germany
- Yugoslavia—Emigration and immigration—History—20th century
- Germany—Emigration and immigration—History—20th century
- 9780253037718 hardcover, 0253037719 hardcover, 9780253037725 paperback, and 0253037727 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-225) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34814199