The Performance of Celebrity: Creating, Maintaining and Controlling Fame [electronic resource] / Amber Anna Colvin
- Colvin, Amber Anna
- Leiden, Boston : BRILL, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Inter-Disciplinary Press Sociology, Politics and Education Special E-book Collection, 2009-2016, ISBN: 9789004400979
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Preliminary Material -- Oscar Wilde's Celebrity: Public Persona as a Character / Anna Fomichenko -- Fame and Nation: National Identity of Pop Star Justin Bieber / Samita Nandy -- 'Ireland's Sorrow': Michael Collins, Celebrity and Nationalist Discourse in Irish and British Newspapers -- 'It's Not Breeding That Kind of "I'm an Athlete" Arrogance': Roller Derby and the Construction of Local Celebrities / Jade McDonald -- The Israel Celebs Awards: A Critical Analysis / Mira Moshe -- The Emergence of the 'Starchitect' Category / Andrzej Klimek -- En-Nobeling Literary Celebrity: Authorial Self-Fashioning in the Nobel Lectures of Elfriede Jelinek and Harold Pinter / Sandra Mayer.
- In recent years the study of celebrity, of what constitutes fame, and how that fame is controlled and performed, has become an area of intense scholarly interest. This is due in part to the increased emphasis on social and cultural history and the presence of new and innovative sources, both of which have created new and exciting areas of study. The growing importance and recognition of the celebrity phenomenon has created a field that is both currently rich in literature and has the room for continued scholarship. The works in this volume address debates on the concept of celebrity, including the modernity of celebrity, the importance of the celebrity-audience relationship and the question of who controls celebrity personas. How, in essence, do celebrities "do fame?" This question is at the centre of this book, with the pieces included addressing this idea across a variety of academic disciplines, time periods, and methodological approaches.
- 9781848882546 (electronic book) and 9789004374102 (print)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34816062