Strangers arrive [electronic resource] : emigrés and the arts in New Zealand, 1930-1980 / Leonard Bell
- Bell, Leonard, 1945-
- Auckland, New Zealand : Auckland University Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 310 pages : illustrations (some colour) ; 28 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Alien registration -- Taking pictures -- New visions -- Words -- Architectural episodes -- Virtual strangers.
- "From the 1930s through the 1950s, a substantial number of forced migrants - refugees from Nazism, displaced people after World War II and escapees from Communist countries - arrived in New Zealand from Europe. Among them were an extraordinary group of artists and writers, photographers and architects whose European modernism radically reshaped the arts in this country."--Publisher description.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 34819709