The torrent [electronic resource] : a true story of heroism and survival / Amanda Gearing
- Gearing, Amanda
- St Lucia, Queensland : University of Queensland Press, 2017.
- Updated edition 2017.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 261 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- On 10 January 2011, after weeks of heavy rain and as floodwaters began to overwhelm much of south-east Queensland, a 'wall of water' hit Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley. The Torrent tells the extraordinary stories of survival and loss that emerged from that terrible day. Official figures state that twenty-four people died. Many escaped death only because they were rescued by members of the community or through sheer good fortune. Based on exclusive interviews with survivors, rescuers and with the families and friends of victims of the disaster, The Torrent is a unique and powerful account of human courage in the face of the devastating forces of nature. In this expanded and updated new edition, Gearing re-interviews the survivors to discover how they are getting on, recounts the traumatic findings of the Grantham inquiry, and captures the enduring and resilient spirit of the communities affected.
- 9780702259524 (pbk.)
- Previous edition: 2012.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 34820685