Guttation : fundamentals and applications / Sanjay Singh
- Singh, Sanjay (Associate professor of plant sciences)
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xx, 199 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Phenomenon of Guttation and Its Machinery -- Principles of Guttation and Its Quantification -- Mechanism of Guttation -- Regulation of Guttation -- Chemistry of Guttation -- Plant Microbiology and Phytopathology of Guttation -- Significance of Guttation in Soil-Plant-Animal-Environment Systems -- Significance of Guttation, Associated Structures, and Root Secretion in the Production of Pharmaceuticals and Other Commercial Products -- General Conclusions and Future Perspectives.
- The phenomenon of guttation finds applications in a wide range of areas, including plant biology, ecology, agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry, pharmacology and medicine. This unique text provides a comprehensive review of this process. It explores the genetic, environmental, and edaphic factors that control and regulate guttation; and discusses in detail the impact of guttation on soil-plant-animal-environment systems, soil fertility and soil productivity, plant water balance, plant physiological research, ecosystem maintenance, and hydathode retrieval of water and solute. A separate chapter addresses practical applications, such as in the production of recombinant proteins for commercial use, seed protein, alkaloids, pharmaceutical drugs, resins, gums, and rubber. Besides specialists in plant sciences, the book will also appeal to anyone interested in the topic of plant-water relationships.
- 9781108765275 (ebook) and 9781108487023 (hardback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 12 May 2020).
View MARC record | catkey: 34827735