High time-resolution astrophysics / edited by Tariq Shahbaz, Jorge Casares Velázquez, Teodoro Muñoz Darias
- Conference Author:
- Canary Islands Winter School of Astrophysics (27th : 2015 : La Laguna, Canary Islands)
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 194 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Shahbaz, Tariq, 1970-, Casares Velázquez, Jorge, 1964-, and Muñoz Darias, Teodoro, 1981-
- Radiation processes and models / Julien Malzac -- HTRA instrumentation--I / Philip A. Charles -- HTRA instrumentation--II / Vikram. S. Dhillon -- Black-hole and neutron-star binaries / Tomaso M. Belloni -- Radio observations of pulsars and X-ray binaries / Andrea Possenti -- Gamma-ray sources and analysis / C. Ferrara.
- High time-resolution astrophysics (HTRA) involves measuring and studying astronomical phenomena on timescales of seconds to milliseconds. Although many areas of astronomy, such as X-ray astronomy and pulsar observations, have traditionally required high time-resolution studies, HTRA techniques are now being applied to optical, infrared and gamma-ray wavelength regimes, due to the development of high efficiency detectors and larger telescopes that can gather photons at a higher rate. With lectures from eminent scientists aimed at young researchers and postdoctorate students in observational astronomy and astrophysics, this volume gives a practical overview and introduction to the tools and techniques of HTRA. Just as multi-spectral observations of astrophysical phenomena are already yielding new scientific results, many astronomers are optimistic that exploring the time domain will open up an important new frontier in observational astronomy over the next decade.
- 9781316831984 (ebook)
- Lectures presented at the XXVII Canary Islands Winter School of Astrophysics, held in La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain, Nov. 9-20, 2015.
Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 01 Aug 2018).
View MARC record | catkey: 34829246