On the history of modern philosophy / F.W.J. von Schelling ; translation, introduction, and notes by Andrew Bowie
- Schelling, Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von, 1775-1854
- Uniform Title:
- Zur Geschichte der neueren Philosophie. English
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 195 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Bowie, Andrew, 1952-
- Texts in German philosophy
- On the History of Modern Philosophy is a key transitional text in the history of European philosophy. In it, F. W. J. Schelling surveys philosophy from Descartes to German Idealism and shows why the Idealist project is ultimately doomed to failure. The lectures trace the path of philosophy from Descartes through Spinoza, Leibniz, Kant, Fichte, Jacobi, to Hegel and Schelling's own work. The extensive critiques of Hegel prefigure many of the arguments to be found in Feuerbach, Kierkegaard, Marx, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Derrida. This is the first English translation of On the History of Modern Philosophy. In his introduction Andrew Bowie sets the work in the context of Schelling's career and clarifies its philosophical issues. The translation will be of special interest to philosophers, intellectual historians, literary theorists, and theologians.
- 9781139172431 (ebook)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 34834442